There are two general classifications of soccer teams: recreational and select (competitive). SSC offers recreational soccer to players in the U4 through U19 age groups. SSC also offers select soccer teams for the U9 through U19 age groups.
ABOUT SELECT SOCCER
- Structure: Georgia classifies select teams into 3 categories: Academy (U12 players), Classic (boys U13-U19), and Athena (girls U13-U19). Classic and Athena are subdivided into categories based on the team’s level of play from Classic V (lowest) to Classic I (highest).
- Team Selection: Select soccer teams are comprised of players who are selected through tryouts.
- Training: Select teams train 2-3 times per week. Training for the fall season is August-November. Training for the spring season starts in January-May. Summer training is at the direction of the team’s coach.
- Games: Select teams generally play at least 1 game per week from September-November and March-May. Games are on Saturdays and Sundays. Select teams also play in tournaments.
- Travel: Select soccer involves travel. Through U12, most games for Smyrna SC teams are in the metro-Atlanta area. At U13-U19, it is not unusual to drive 2 hours to a game.
- Competition: Select teams play against other well-trained teams from soccer clubs throughout Georgia. The level of competition is generally substantially higher than recreational soccer.
- Commitment: Select soccer requires a substantial commitment from parents and players. Smyrna SC select players are expected to make training and games a priority.
- Cost: The cost for Smyrna SC’s select soccer program for 2013-2014 was $730 plus the cost of the uniform, which was about $100. Periodic payments are allowed.